Easterford Lodge

SIR WILLIAM ABDY Bt.ProvSGW., PJGD

  • Initiated Lodge of Harmony 255 -1866
  • Joined 1891
  • Master 1894,1895
  • DC 1898-1900
  • Provincial Senior Grand Warden

Historic note:

At the request of Grand Lodge, Easterford was asked to undertake the ceremonies of Passing and Raising for a brother who had returned in 1890 after service as Ambassador to Peking. He owned estates in the area. This took place in 1891 and subsequently was proposed as a joining member by Dr.Salter. This was only the start of a new way of life for Easterford, because Sir William became the greatest benefactor of the Lodge. He made a generous donation to the Broken Column after the ceremony of passing and paid off the bank debt that had been used to buy lodge furniture. Meeting at the Angel was not his idea of a Masonic Temple and when Dr.Salter suggested that if he provided the funds the dedicated Temple could be built. He readily agreed. His last gesture was to commission the Master’s chair. The Temple was dedicated in April 1985 when Sir William was Master. Sir William held active Provincial Office. He initiated his brother into the lodge in1905. When Sir William died in 1910 his brother inherited the title and before he died in1922 he donated an oak table.

Scroll to Top