Est. 1890 · Kelvedon, Essex
Easterford Masonic Temple
The Easterford Masonic Temple stands proud in Kelvedon High Street, but without any formal notice board it remains a mystery to passers by. Unless they venture to examine the foundation stones, the importance of the building will not be evident. It is there because of the generosity of Sir William Abdy, and the later extension as a result of a legacy by one of the brightest characters in Essex Freemasonry — Dr Henry Salter. He was the dominant member of Easterford from its consecration in 1890 to his death at the age of 90 in 1932. Both are remembered in a special toast at the Installation Festive Board.
Sir William Abdy & the Building of the Temple
Sir William Abdy Bt. was a successor to a long line of Abdy Baronets dating back to 1713 when the family lived at Fillol’s Hall. Although this was sold, the family retained an estate in the area and this is where Sir William came to live after serving as Ambassador in Peking. Sir William had been initiated into Freemasonry in 1866 in London, but with his appointment to Peking his progress was halted. On his return to Essex, Easterford was approached by Grand Lodge to conduct the ceremonies of passing and raising, which took place in 1891. Dr Salter proposed him as a member, and he was so delighted that he made a very generous donation and paid off the debt to the bank used to buy the lodge furniture.
The Angel Inn did not meet with Sir William’s idea of a Temple, and he enquired of Dr Salter why the lodge did not have its own Temple, to which Dr Salter replied that if Sir William cared to provide the funds then it could be built. Sir William agreed without hesitation and offered a sum of £2,000. As Treasurer, Dr Salter kept tight control of the building costs, especially as it was undertaken by Bro Thorn, one of the Founders. As with most building projects it ran into cost over-runs resulting in some debate, but in the end was resolved — though the total cost reached £3,000, which Sir William agreed to provide.
The land was purchased in 1894 and a few months later the Foundation Stone was laid by Sir William. In a cavity in the wall, various documents and coins were placed in a phial. The Temple was dedicated in April 1895 by the Earl of Warwick, Provincial Grand Master of Essex, in a glittering ceremony.
Laying of the Foundation Stones
Sir William’s final act of generosity was to commission a Master’s Chair in the dining room — said to be of a size to accommodate Dr Salter’s ample backside.
The featured coloured picture of the Temple at that time was from a small monochrome etching found in a Masonic book published around the time that the building was completed. Derek Banham, Brother-in-law of W.Bro. Tony Wood, enlarged and coloured the engraving, and it was presented to Easterford Lodge by Dr Wood in 1995 at the centenary celebration of the building of the Temple.
The 1921 Renovation
In 1921 a Building Committee was established to oversee the renovation of the building. This consisted of decoration, ventilation in the Temple, improved lighting, and connection to the mains water supply to the kitchen and toilet. Bro Ward, who had only been initiated a year earlier, agreed to take on the catering for the lodge and collected donations to pay for 72 pieces of crockery, fish knives and forks, and a fish kettle that could cook 24 pounds of Salmon or Turbot, as well as the cost of connecting the water supply to the kitchen. The total cost of the renovation was £750.
On Monday 31st October 1921 the Provincial Grand Master, the Rt. Hon. Lord Lambourne, arrived at Kelvedon Station and was driven to the home of Dr Salter for lunch before returning to the Hall for a ceremony of Re-opening.
Dr Henry Salter
Dr Salter was not only the dominant character in the lodge for over 40 years — he held office from the formation of the lodge until his death in 1932. He was the 2nd, 25th and 30th Master, and Treasurer for 34 years. He was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master in Essex in 1905 and held that office until his death in 1932. Although he was initiated into Masonry in 1864 in Sussex, he was never active until he moved to Essex. During his Masonic career he held high office in Chapter, Mark and many other orders. In 1920 he was presented with an illuminated address listing his contribution to Masonry.
To mark his 90th Birthday, W.Bro.Cyril Deal collected the signatures of every Grand Officer in Essex and the Master, Wardens, Secretary and Treasurer of the 121 Lodges in the Province of Essex. It was put in an illuminated address and book and presented to Dr Salter by a deputation from Grand Lodge on 8th July. A week later, the day of his birthday members of Easterford gathered at his home for tea and refreshments and presented him with a silver rose bowl.
When Dr Salter qualified he decided not to be a senior surgeon at King’s Hospital but to be a general practitioner, and moved to Tolleshunt D’Arcy where he built up a strong following and was widely respected in the community, and was appointed a Justice of the Peace. It also enabled him to follow his country passions of hunting and horseracing, including the Derby, Ascot and the original Chelmsford course.
Hunting took him around Europe, and the records show that in his lifetime he bagged 62,504 in 104 varieties, including wolves in Russia. He owned over 2,696 sporting dogs, of which 2,123 he bred. He won frequently at Crufts and at one time was President. In horticulture he won 1,400 prizes, mainly firsts.
He was married to Laura for 40 years but had no children; she devoted herself to supporting the community and the Doctor’s interests. The procession at his funeral included the Chief Constable and other senior police officers. His chain of office and jewels were carried by senior Provincial officers accompanied by Grand Lodge Officers and office holders of Easterford. The mourners were two deep as the procession reached the church, and microphones were installed at the churchyard as the church only accommodated 250. The Service was conducted by Rev. Carter, a Pastmaster of Easterford and Provincial Chaplain. The address and committal were given by the Bishop of Chelmsford — also a member of Easterford — when Abide with Me was sung. At the graveside, Freemasons led by the Provincial Grand Master filed past and each dropped into the grave a white kid glove and sprig of acacia. It had been a fitting end to a remarkable man.
1895–1932
WM 1891, 1914, 1919
Treasurer 1893–1932
Deputy PGM 1905–1932
Plume No 1024
1891
MEZ 1910
Asst GSoj
Constantine No 145
1892
WM 1897
JGO 1905
Prov. Treasurer
St George’s Preceptory No. 6
1902
Rose CroixRose and Lily Chapter No 97
MWS 1902
Ancient & Accepted Rite1896
Secret MonitorEarl of Warwick Conclave No 29
1896
The Salter Memorial Room
There were many tributes in the magazines of organisations to which he belonged, as well as the local press, showing how widely he was respected. In his will he left £500, and with other donations in his memory it was sufficient to build an extension named the Salter Memorial Room with Art Deco features. It was dedicated on 14th July 1933 by the Assistant Provincial Grand Master, Sir Frederick Senier. The name on the programme is R.W.Bro Beale Colvin, Provincial Grand Master and Lord Lieutenant of Essex, but he was too ill on the day to conduct the ceremony. Dr Salter’s chain of office and jewels are displayed in the room together with a portrait. A painting of Dr Salter with his dogs hangs in the dining room.
In 1966 Bro N Boyd presented a Grandfather clock depicting Masonry Universal and it was placed in the Salter Room.
The Temple Today
Up-to-date external photos show the Hall with the Salter Room and provision for parking as a result of land purchased in 1931. The motor car had become the principal mode of transport for members, replacing the horse and carriage of the earlier members.
The feature of the Temple is the specially raised platform for the Master and Grand Lodge Officers on his right, with other officers and Pastmasters on his left. The ceremonial scrolls show the signatures of every Master of the Lodge, Principal of the Chapter and Master of the Mark. The warrants are permanently displayed on the North wall alongside the Lodge Banner and other certificates.
The dining room has been largely unchanged over the years but enhanced by the silver candlesticks and silver flower bowls — it is a magical room for Festive Boards. The Salter Room is the overflow when there is a high attendance, but also used for smaller Festive Boards. The most recent improvements have been a modern kitchen and an elegant bar and display cabinet in the Ante Room.
Members contribute to the building fund to ensure that the Hall is maintained to a high standard. The next improvement will be air conditioning and improved heating, due to a generous donation from a member.
The Hall is managed by a group of Trustees and subject to a covenant that only Easterford may meet there. This enables more meetings than most lodges can accommodate. In particular it provides a Temple for the Lodge of Instruction where new Masons can learn ritual, which manifests itself in the high quality of Easterford ceremonies and justifies the inheritance of those Founding members.
Easterford Lodge ✦ Kelvedon, Essex ✦ Consecrated 1890