Easterford Lodge

The Tasmania Trowel

The Tasmania Trowel

W.Bro. Tom Broderick on a visit to Australia in 2026 was on his way to Tasmania and remembered that there is a silver trowel on display in the ante room. It was presented to His Excellency Bro. Charles Du Cane (later Sir Charles) at the laying of the foundation stone of the Hobart Masonic Centre in 1873. Tom asked W.Bro. Keith Brown for more information.

Charles Du Cane was born on the Isle of Wight in 1825 but the family home was Braxted Park. He was educated at Charterhouse and Oxford University and played first class cricket for the MCC. He was the Member of Parliament for North Essex from 1857 to 1868 when the seat was abolished.

He was appointed Governor of Tasmania and sworn in at Hobart Town in January 1869. During his time Tasmania became prosperous due to an industrial and resources boom. It was during this time that the Masonic Temple was built and the foundation stone was laid by Charles Du Cane. He left office in 1874 and was appointed KCMG for his services. In 1878 he was appointed Chairman of the Board of Customs until his death in 1889.

The previous Masonic Temple has been redeveloped but the current Masonic Centre has the original foundation stone on display in the entrance hall, which Tom saw when he visited and met the Past Grand Master of Tasmania MW Bro. Rob Clarke.

Although the foundation stone refers to Bro. Charles Du Cane there is no reference to his masonic involvement.

This just leaves the Trowel and why it is in the possession of Easterford. It was presented by Copley Du Cane, son of Sir Charles, who was initiated into Easterford in 1903 and progressed to Junior Deacon in a year but did not advance beyond Senior Deacon and resigned in 1909.

Est. 1890  ·  Kelvedon, Essex

Easterford Highlights

Easterford has a long history of events that have shaped it over the years. From the Consecration in 1890, the Dedication of the Temple in 1895 to the Centenary celebrations in 1990 and the Ceremony of Re-enactment in 2015 are all part of the rich history of Easterford.

1880s–1890s: Foundation Years

1889 - Resolution to Found Easterford Lodge

In December Freemasons met at the Angel Hotel in Kelvedon and resolved to found a new lodge Easterford, and petitioned Grand Lodge, which was granted by HRH Prince of Wales, the Grand Master

1890 - Presentation of Easterford Banner

Easterford banner presented to Lodge by two sisters Miss Turners

1890 - Consecration of Easterford Lodge

In March Easterford Lodge was Consecrated at the Public Hall in Kelvedon

View full programme (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
1890 - First Easterford Lodge Meeting

In April the first meeting of Easterford took place with W.Bro. Revd. Thomas Lloyd as Master, W.Bro. John Henry Salter as Senior Warden and W.Bro. James Ogier as Junior Warden

1891 - Sir William Abdy Joins Lodge

Sir William Abdy Bart. visits as an entered apprentice and is passed and raised in the year and became a joining member

1891 - Dr Salter Installed as Master

Dr Salter installed as Master. He would later serve as Master in 1914 and 1919

1894 - Sir William Abdy Installed as Master

Sir William Abdy Bart. installed as Master, who had generously agreed to provide the funds to build the Easterford Masonic Temple

1894 - Laying of the Corner Stone

Laying of the Corner Stone at the Easterford Masonic Temple on 14th June by Sir William

1895 - Dedication of the Easterford Temple

Dedication of the Easterford Temple on 18th April by the Provincial Grand Master, the Earl of Warwick assisted by Provincial officers

View full programme (PDF, scroll to read all pages)

This was extensively reported in the Freemason's Chronicle of 27th April. This historic document includes immense detail of Masonic activity including the patronage of Queen Victoria and other members of the Royal Family.

Freemason's Chronicle, 27th April 1895 (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
1895 - Lodge of Instruction Formed

Lodge of Instruction formed, meeting monthly and later developed into a Senior and Junior lodges with their own festive boards. This continued until 1947 when merged into one lodge of instruction

✦   ✦   ✦

1900s–1910s: Growth and Development

1901 - Mourning for Queen Victoria

Queen Victoria dies and all craft lodges put into mourning for three months with special black rosettes

1902 - Browning Smith Installed as Master

Robert Browning Smith installed as Master the first of four generations to join Easterford, three of whom served as Master.

1905 - Dr Salter Appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master

Dr. Salter installed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master which office he held until 1932

1905 - Presentation of the Tasmania Trowel

A silver trowel presented at the laying of the Hobart Masonic Centre foundation stone in 1873 came into the possession of Easterford through Copley Du Cane, son of Governor Sir Charles Du Cane, who joined the lodge in 1903.

Read the full story
1910 - Death of Sir William Abdy

Sir William Abdy Bart. Dies

1914–1918 - First World War Service

First World War and 12 Easterford Brethren served in H.M. Forces. W.Bro. Revd. Pierrepoint Edwards, the Chaplain awarded the Military Cross

War service of Easterford members (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
✦   ✦   ✦

1920s–1930s: Inter-War Period

1919 - Resumption After the War

Meetings resumed and there was such demand for membership that two emergency meetings were held. There were 9 initiates in that year and the years following saw a regular flow of both initiates and joining members.

1920 - Illuminated Address to Dr Salter

Dr. Salter presented with an Illuminated Address to recognise his contribution to Freemasonry

View full programme (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
1921 - Ceremony of Re-opening after Renovation

The Provincial Grand Master Lord Lambourne presided over the ceremony of Re-opening after renovation of the Temple.

View full programme (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
1922 - First Strawberry Meeting

The tradition of the Strawberry Meeting started

1926 - Caretaker's Cottage Built

Caretaker's cottage built

1927 - Cyril Deal Installed as Master

W.Bro. Cyril Deal installed as Master, the first of four generations to hold office.

1932 - Final Honour to Dr Salter

Dr. Salter presented with an illuminated address prepared by W.Bro. Cyril and signed by the Masters, Wardens, Treasurers and Secretaries of 121 Essex Lodges. Dr Salter died soon after at the age of 90

1933 - Dedication of the Salter Room

Salter Room dedicated by RW. Brig. Gen. R Beale Colvin Lord Lieutenant of Essex and Provincial Grand Master which had been built from a legacy from Dr. Salter and donations from members.

View full programme (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
✦   ✦   ✦

1940s: The War Years

1939 - Duke of Kent Installed Grand Master

HRH Duke of Kent was installed as MW Grand Master by HM King George VI at Olympia. The event was attended by W.Bros. Arnold and Easton and Bros. Blythe and Eric Deal.

1939 - Outbreak of the Second World War

The outbreak of the Second World War in September, but Easterford continued with meetings but there were inevitable breaks which led to two Masters occupying the Chair for two years, W.Bro. Blythe and W.Bro. Barnwell and ceremonies continued. 10 brethren were initiated in the war years. 50 members of the lodge were engaged in home defence. Colvin Lodge 5374 and Tollesbury Lodge 4738 were unable to use their meeting places so Easterford allowed them to use the Temple.

Details of service by Easterford members (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
1942 - Family Initiation Ceremony

W.Bro. Eric Deal initiated his nephew John Deal and the address to the candidate was given by his Father W.Bro. Cyril Deal.

1942–1943 - Death of Duke of Kent and Grand Lodge Changes

The MW Grand Master HRH Duke of Kent killed in active service. Past Grand Master King George VI installed the Earl of Harewood as Grand Master in April 1943. In October 1943 W.Bro. Cramphorn visited Easterford to give description of the ceremony together with a lecture on the Constitutions, Catechisms and Masonic Word

1945 - Easterford War Casualty

Bro. Squadron Leader Forbes Rees-Jones was the only member of Easterford to die in active service five weeks before the war ended in Europe

1946 - Return to Regular Meetings

Regular meetings returned, the Lodges of Instruction resumed and despite rationing a Ladies Festival at the George Hotel in Colchester. There were seven initiates in that year

✦   ✦   ✦

1950s–1960s: Post-War Expansion

1950 - Membership Restrictions Introduced

The popularity of Easterford led to a restriction on joining members as capacity with new initiates was reached in the Temple

1951 - Banner Renovation

Banner renovated by W.Bro. Jack Cooper, a tailor who was Master in 1950

1951 - Major RMIB Fundraising Contribution

153rd Anniversary RMIB raised £205,010 of which Easterford contributed £1,023

1956 - Benevolent Association Formed

Easterford Lodge Benevolent Association formed

1958 - Maintenance Funds Merged

Hall Maintenance and Restoration Funds merged

1963 - RMIG Festival Contribution

RMIG Festival raised £262,790 in Essex of which £1,747 was contributed by Easterford

1966 - Presentation of Grandfather Clock

The Grandfather Clock depicting Masonry Universal was presented by Bro. N. Boyd and placed in the Salter Room

1969 - Re-introduction of Ladies' Evenings

Re-introduction of Ladies' evenings and later called Festivals

✦   ✦   ✦

1970s–1980s: Modernization

1970 - First Joining Member Since 1950

First joining member since 1950 was admitted, Bro. Anthony Wood

1972 - Introduction of Managing Stewards

To facilitate the Festive Board Managing Stewards were appointed known as 'carvers' while those behind bar were 'bar stewards' and as pointed out at the time were two separate words!

1975 - Charity Steward Role Established

The office of Charity Steward was established by UGLE and defined the role of Almoner. The jewel of the Charity Steward was a Trowel depicting Benevolence and Charity. W.Bro. Coleman was the first to wear the collar

1977 - Decision to Form Royal Arch Chapter

Lodge agrees to the formation of Easterford Royal Arch Chapter which was consecrated in June 1979

1979 - Freemasons' Hall Medallion Loaned

The 1780 Freemason's Hall Medallion owned by Easterford was sought by the Grand Lodge Museum and it was agreed that it could be loaned on a permanent basis

1981 - Major Hall Repairs Funded

Essential spending on the Hall of £10,000 was necessary and raised from members. At the same time the Trustees confirmed that there would be no change in the Deed to permit other lodges to use the Temple

1985 - RMIB Festival Contribution

Easterford contributes £21,000 to the RMIB Festival where every member had subscribed to be a Steward

1989 - Major Kitchen Renovation

Extensive renovations to the kitchen costing £20,000 which was possible as a result of contributions from members to the Building Fund

✦   ✦   ✦

1990s–2000s: Centenary and Beyond

1990 - Centenary Celebrations

Centenary celebrations marked by a special meeting on Monday 19th March attended by 61 members and the Provincial Grand Master. On Saturday 6th October a celebration event took place at The Moot Hall in Colchester with 163 attending

View full programme (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
1995 - Centenary of Temple Dedication

The Ceremony of the Centenary of the Opening and Dedication of the Masonic Temple

View full programme (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
1997 - Consecration of Mark Lodge

Consecration of Easterford Mark Lodge

View full programme (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
2000 - Banner Renovated Again

Banner renovated by Mrs Jean Lawrence who was widow of W.Bro. Ken Lawrence, Master 1995

2001 - First Burns Night

The first Easterford Burns Night which has now become a tradition

✦   ✦   ✦

2010s–2020s: Recent History

2014 - Royal Arch 100th Meeting Dinner

Royal Arch Special Convocation Dinner to mark 100th meeting

2015 - 125th Anniversary Celebrations

125th Anniversary marked by the Re-enactment of a Ceremony of Consecration by R.W. John Webb PGM followed by special Festive Board

View full programme (PDF, scroll to read all pages)
2017 - Mark Lodge 20th Anniversary

20th Anniversary of Mark Lodge with W.Bro. Peter Curtis aged 90 in the chair who was the prime instigator of its formation

2019–2020 - Covid Suspension of Meetings

Meetings suspended or curtailed due to Covid and Zoom meetings were held without ceremonies

2023 - Kitchen and Bar Refurbishment

Extensive refurbishment of kitchen and new bar area

Scroll to Top